Never ask me what my favourite meal is. I don’t know. I just don’t. It’s like asking a child whether they prefer their mum or dad. Can’t I love them both?
So I just love them all. All seven of them (7. Nope, not a typo).
I do especially love breakfasts, though. When a day starts with a lie-in, eggs on toast and a good brew, then I’m sorted. I don’t even care if the weather is miserable (and it’s winter in Wales, so chances are it will be). I love warm, cuddly porridge with plump sultanas and perfectly round banana slices. I can’t resist cold pizza, straight from the fridge, and a warm buttery croissant with slightly sour strawberry jam is hard to beat.
But toast. Uhm. Toast is my one true love, and I know I’m not the only one (Nigel Slater even wrote a book on it… and it’s brilliant). Toast is simple but comforting, and when smothered in butter and covered in beans, jam, eggs or bacon it’s the perfect way to start the day. Now, I lived without a toaster for about a month and I had never thought one could miss an appliance so much. You don’t know what you have until it’s gone, I guess. Or in my case, until you have to use the oven and start burning yourself at least twice a day because you are the clumsiest human being on earth.
So here are my thoughts on breakfast (and toast):
1) I CAN believe it’s not butter. I’m not even going to go into how butter is actually healthier than margarine (which is true), thing is, it just tastes better. If you’ve been using Flora for years, try smearing slightly salted Lurpak on toast. It’s like going from black-and-white to colours.
2) Marks&Spencer make a salted caramel sauce which is probably the closest thing to utter perfection I’ve ever come across, especially on burnt toast.
3) Anything goes – as long as it’s not Marmite. I know. I’m sorry.
4) I truly wish I was a muesli person, but unless I smother mine in maple syrup I feel like I’m eating the carton rather than the actual food.
5) Is it weird that I like cheese for breakfast? I love goat’s cheese on rye bread on a gray day.
6) I prefer maple syrup to golden syrup on porridge.
7) No day should start without a cup of tea (white).
8) Alas, my favourite cereals are Cheerios.
9) I’m really trying to think of a 9th and 10th thought, because if you bother making a list you should at least get to a double-digit number, but I can’t.
10) I love breakfast.
11) Oh no wait, I’ve got one! Breakfast is better shared. There you go. Bit cheesy, I know, but it could be worse – I could have quoted Coelho…